On Saturday, May 15, 2021 the Palestinian Youth Movement (PYM)- حركة الشباب الفلسطيني and Fondation canado-palestinienne du Québec hosted a rally in commemoration of the Nakba (Commémoration de la Nakba) in Montreal.
The Nakba Day (Arabic: يوم النكبة Yawm an-Nakba, meaning “Day of the Catastrophe”) is an annual day in which the Palestinian people commemorates the (voluntarily and forced) displacement of around 700,000 Palestinians that preceded and followed the attempt of the Arab Courtiers to destroy by an orchestrated military attack the nascent state of Israel, which declared its independence on May 15, 1948.
A TikTok video features pro-Palestine protesters placing an Israeli flag on the road and setting it on fire and stomping on it.
The flag of Israel was adopted on 28 October 1948, five months after the establishment of the State of Israel. It depicts a blue hexagram on a white background, between two horizontal blue stripes.
The blue stripes are intended to symbolize the stripes on a tallit, the traditional Jewish prayer shawl. The Star of David is a widely acknowledged symbol of the Jewish people and of Judaism. In Judaism, the colour blue symbolises God’s glory, purity and gevurah (God’s severity) The White field represents Chesed (Divine Benevolence).
- Stephen Ellis: “The only moral thing to do is destroy them” [Israeli, Canadian flags]
- Hamilton: Pro-Palestinian demonstrators burned the Israeli flag
- Flag of Israel stomped by pro Palestinian protesters in Toronto
- Toronto protesters: “Death to Israel”; burned Israeli flag
- Winnipeg Jews Assaulted, Israel flags burnt by pro-Palestine protesters